Tuesday 4 October 2011

Rotman is keeping me busy...


4 official weeks at Rotman have gone and Q1 is about to finish….

It has been long that I have tried a hand to write something in my blog. Virtually I have written 3 DMD (Decision making diary) entries and one essay on Moneyball. I had promised myself to write a blog every two weeks but found difficulty to keep up with time. Let me summarize last four weeks of official Rotman curriculum.

Let me start with a typical day at Rotman:

Get up at 6 AM – Prepare for the class
8:15 AM – Get in to subway for school
9:15 to 11:15 AM – FIT class
11:30 to 1:00 PM – Stats class
1:00 to 2:00 PM – Club meeting
2:15 to 3:45 PM – Accounting class
4:00 to 4:30 PM – Meeting with professor
4:30 to 6:30 PM – Accounting scholar session
6:30 to 7:30 PM – Economics scholar session
7:45 to 8:30 PM – Get in to subway for home
8:30 to 9:00 PM – Rest (I have life as well), check Facebook, check RWorld, check personal email etc.
9:00 to 9:30 PM – Cook food
10:00 to 1:00 AM – Prepare for next day
1:00 AM to 6:00 AM – Sleep (if you are lucky)

Week 1 started at a steady note and with a lot of promise. Professors are very conversant and dedicated.  Within couple of days I realized why upper years said that it’s gonna be fun. Five subjects started with a bang with lots of workload. MBA is getting more work done is less time and first year is designed in such a way that professors give more work than one can handle and we need to prioritize work according to one’s merit. I was just absorbing studies after 8+ years and Economics professor announced quiz at the start of Week 2 so it’s time to test what prof taught us. Side by side group project and assignments also kicked off. Week 3 was stable but it was linearly increasing with work. More quizzes and assignments were keeping everybody busy. Week 4 started with clubs kick-off meetings. I wanted to join each one of them but for the obvious reason of time scarcity I decided against it and joined Consulting, Business technology, Risk, Net impact and out-reach clubs. Got knows from where will I get time to attend all the sessions. I am definitely not a finance guy so did not join Rotman Finance Association. We had to write an essay on Money ball. This was a big pain for most of us especially when you need to find relevance between a baseball book and business. Money ball movie was released in the nick of time but I did not watch it as per some of my classmate’s advice. I am going to watch it on 06th Oct along with Prof Womack.

Exams are knocking at the door and will start from 16th Oct. It’s hard to believe that first quarter will be over soon. As per upper years the next quarter is going to be the toughest one in entire Rotman journey. I already have more than I can handle so don’t know what will Q2 bring. Keeping my figures crossed.

On the personal front I have moved (with my cousin) to new Condo in Younge Street, already joined and left gym thrice and planning to start swimming. Only study and no play has put a couple of pounds on me and my new business suit is hardly fitting me now. I have to shed some weight but not finding any time for it.

I hope to live up with my promise and try to write something once in every 2 weeks. C ya…..

No comments:

Post a Comment